For more information, please see the Getting Started Guide.
- After you’ve created your new account, you’re ready to download the SpiderOak application on any computer you would like to backup. Please note at the present time you may not backup/sync any items from your mobile devices to SpiderOak. The SpiderOak Mobile application is only for viewing your uploaded data and/or the contents of your ShareRooms or the ShareRooms of other SpiderOak users. To begin backing up / syncing / sharing your data you must first install SpiderOak on a computer.
After you click Join Now, a window will pop up prompting you to download the correct version of SpiderOak. Press Save Now to save the installer file to your system.
- If the window does not pop up prompting you with the correct version, click the red Download Now. This will open up the download window with the correct version of SpiderOak.
- If this window does not offer you the correct version of SpiderOak, click the Software Download link in the side bar to choose the correct version of SpiderOak manually. If you do not see your Linux distribution offered, email support at spideroak.com to ask which version of the program will be most compatible with your operating system.
RUN SETUP ON YOUR COMPUTER
- When the download completes, please open the SpiderOak installer file to being setting up SpiderOak on your computer. Read carefully and then choose to accept the terms and conditions.
- When you’ve finished installing the program on your computer, choose Run SpiderOak Now to begin Syndication on Windows. If you’re on a Mac or Linux machine, manually open SpiderOak.
- Choose Create 1st Device.
- What’s a device? A device name is like an electronic name tag you assign to a physical computer. SpiderOak associates all files uploaded from the device and all preferences with this device name. You can set different physical computers as this same device, but only one computer can connect as a particular device at a time.
- For example, let’s say you add one computer to your account and make the device name “Frank.” When you add a second computer to your SpiderOak account, during setup you will be given the option to reinstall this computer as an existing device. You can choose to install Computer #2 as “Frank”, but once you do so, Computer #1 will no longer be able to connect to SpiderOak servers until it is reinstalled as a new device.
- Enter your email/username and password.
- Create a password hint. We strongly recommend that you create a hint in order to help you remember your password.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you lose your password you will lose access to your account. We cannot recover or reset your password for you, even in emergencies.